Welcome to Victoria Grove - the new worldwide CATS discussion board. Sign up, introduce yourself and start discussing CATS with fans all over the world!

CLICK TO REGISTER

Broadway CATS calendar scans?

Gaze

Broadway CATS calendar scans?

Post by Gaze » Mon 19. Jun 2017, 03:24

I was just thinking about that old calendar that was made featuring photos of the Broadway cast - I wanna say it was made in 1999 or 2000? I was able to find only a few scans from it via Google, and I was just wondering if anyone knows whether there's still any place online to find all the full scans of the calendar.

additionally, if anyone can fill me in on the details of when it was made and where/how it was available for purchase, that would be great too. I knew once, but it's slipped my mind now. I remember it being incredibly rare....does it ever pop up on ebay?

thank you!

Belle

Re: Broadway CATS calendar scans?

Post by Belle » Mon 19. Jun 2017, 13:50

Hey! It must have been made in 1999, since it's a 2000 calendar. I'm pretty sure it was a fundraiser for BC/EFA, the Broadway community is amazing for that kind of thing! I've never seen it on Ebay and I don't have a copy myself... how many people keep old calendars, even if they were done by a show that closed that year?

http://catsmusical.wikia.com/wiki/Broad ... A_Calendar

Here's the photos, scanned by Asterix originally. They're such fun photos, they clearly had a ball making it!

mortifer
Administrator

Post by mortifer » Mon 19. Jun 2017, 14:40

Did BCEFA already exist back then? I love that campaign, they always make great stuff for good purpose! We should have similar things in the UK and Germany :)

And I'd love to have a Cats calendar with my favourite performers... maybe I'll design one for next year^^
And then we'd feel balmy, in each eye a tear...

Gaze

Post by Gaze » Mon 19. Jun 2017, 18:23

thank you Belle! I was briefly browsing the CATS wiki for the scans and evidently I didn't look hard enough, LOL....
I remembered it had something to do with a charity. very cool that it was for HIV/AIDS. I'm actually kind of surprised more people didn't save theirs thinking they'd be able to resell it as a collector's item one day....the photos are so cute, I'd love to hunt one of these down someday.

and oh man, I remember Asterix! I loved her art/costumes/website sooo much back in the day. glad she uploaded these images for everyone to enjoy. thanks again for the link <3

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue 20. Jun 2017, 09:33

In the UK we have TheatreMAD (Make A Difference) - which has gone through a number of names and was West End Cares for a while, but it's our equivalent. They do do good events but somehow people aren't so pro-active about coming up with ideas and motivated to do stuff. It's not that performers in the UK don't want to raise money for good causes, it just... it seems the Broadway casts will come up with ideas themselves, the West End casts need to be prompted.

BC/EFA has gone through several names as well, and as the current name suggests, it's an amalgamation of two charities, "Broadway Cares" and "Equity Fights AIDS". The calendar might have been published just for Broadway Cares, I'm sure it'd say on it.

There's been German equivalents too - that infamous photo of naked John Partridge is from a similar calendar of nudes from the 2002 Berlin production. Actually, that's one of my holy grails! The John Partridge/Naked Tugger in Heels pic is awesome, but there was another picture in the same calendar of Ben Tyrrell - Misto at the time - doing Misto's entrance on the rope, only, naked, from behind - and it was the most beautiful classical nude image. And have I ever been able to find it? No!

(You probably were looking in exactly the right place on the wiki - I got the photos up after you asked!)

MisToxic

Post by MisToxic » Tue 20. Jun 2017, 11:36

I had the Ben Tyrell pic somewhere, but not sure I still have it 😐
I only ever saved John and Ben because the rest of the calendar pics were crew people and not cast and i was only mildly interested in people I've never heard of 😂