Welcome to Victoria Grove - the new worldwide CATS discussion board. Sign up, introduce yourself and start discussing CATS with fans all over the world!

unitard painting questions (and a yarn question)

unitard painting questions (and a yarn question)

Post by jelliclejay » Thu 4. Jan 2018, 00:11

Hi! I'm in the process of making a Quaxo costume and I have several costume building related questions. I figured that this would be the perfect place to ask. They're mostly unitard painting related so I'll start with those...

1. When doing the scribbling (hatching, I believe it's called) should I mix my fabric paint with water so that it can get out of the metal tip bottle? Or is there something else I should mix it with? I'm afraid that if I mix it with water that the colour won't show up very well.

2. What brand of fabric paint do you find works the best? I was thinking of using jaquards, but I just wanted to know if that's a good choice.

3. How many things of paint does it usually take to paint an entire unitard?

Also, here's a yarn related question: what thickness of yarn would you say is best for knitting warmers? I bought some and tried using it on a loom, but it was so spacy and just didn't look right.

Sorry, that was a lot! Thank you for reading :)

Re: unitard painting questions (and a yarn question)

Post by MisToxic » Thu 4. Jan 2018, 10:56

I'll try and answer your questions as far as possible :)

1) be careful with mixing water as it will bleed more easily when applied by bottle. I believe jacquard paints are more liquid than most paints so it might not be necessary to water the paint down at all. IF you do, try and get silkpaint in the same colour, it will water down, but not lose the intensity of the colour.
Try hatching on a seperate piece of lycra first, or on areas that are not visible later on (e.g. legs/arms)

2) I'm from germany so I have different brands than most international painters, but most recommend jacquard indeed.

3) It's been a while since I've painted a Misto, but I always buy big amounts anyways, never smaller than 250ml bottles, more often 500ml. Since I'm painting a lot of unitards that's easier and cheaper for me to buy in bulks/bigger bottles.
For Misto you do need a LOT of black so 500ml may be just enough.

4) knitting looms in general need thick yarn, but you can work around it by using several strands at the same time.

I hope this helps!

Happy costuming!! :)