Welcome to Victoria Grove - the new worldwide CATS discussion board. Sign up, introduce yourself and start discussing CATS with fans all over the world!

CLICK TO REGISTER

Asian Cats finally gets a revamp

mortifer
Administrator

Asian Cats finally gets a revamp

Post by mortifer » Fri 30. Jun 2017, 15:57

So there's a preview clip showing snippets of the rehearsals and interview bits including Chrissie Cartwright, Tracy Stiles (the costume supervisor), Karen Dawson (the make up designer) and Jenny Dean (the wig maker... which means they had the whole UK team in South Korea which is fantastic. They finally got new costumes and the right wig and make up design after the odd look the Australian tour had 2 years ago.

http://tv.kakao.com/channel/2657628/cliplink/374340612

Rockstar Tugger, new Gumbie tap but Tracy Stiles talking the new Raffish Crew... seems to be the Palladium version with Rockstar Tugger which is AMAZING. I can't wait to see more of the production. And I'm a bit jealous... I'd love to see it.

I feel a bit sorry for Jo-Anne Robinson and the team that was responsible for Cats in Australia and Asia for the last 32 years but I guess it was time to change a few things.
And then we'd feel balmy, in each eye a tear...

MisToxic

Re: Asian Cats finally gets a revamp

Post by MisToxic » Fri 30. Jun 2017, 22:32

AND they get Electra.... why did they not do all this 2 years back for the palladium...
Seems to become a really amazing version.

njgerhardt

Post by njgerhardt » Fri 30. Jun 2017, 23:28

such a phenominal looking cast!

they're keeping the new griz design, which i will admit i'm fond of, though it looks like they're keeping the new tugger design as well... :roll: i do wish they weren't so close to the London designs though. i like when productions put their own spins on the designs, like the Mexican production did a couple of years back.

(also- it sounds like they're reincluding a lot of the original West End orchestration like the jazzy version of MJ&RT, which i am happy to hear about!)

MisToxic

Post by MisToxic » Sat 1. Jul 2017, 01:02

It will be Rockstar Tugger, they finally ditched the RapTugger end of last year.

The rest is most likely to be like the last London Palladium show, but with old Tugger instead of Rap, new UK Gumbie Tap and all the smaller changes throughout the show.

I very much doubt they will ever bring the jazzy M&R back, it hasn't been used for almost 30years now.

njgerhardt

Post by njgerhardt » Sun 2. Jul 2017, 02:15

I know that they still use the jazzy M&R in the reoccuring Japanese productions, but aw well.

mortifer
Administrator

Post by mortifer » Sun 2. Jul 2017, 18:06

Japan and Hungary are the only productions that use the Jazzy version until today - both are productions not using the original Trevor Nunn/Gillian Lynne staging.
London stopped using it in 1996. The last new production using this version opened in 1993 and closed in 1995 (European Tour)
And then we'd feel balmy, in each eye a tear...

njgerhardt

Post by njgerhardt » Mon 3. Jul 2017, 04:17

I didn't know about the Hungarian productions using it! But, yeah- they're defo. not "replica" productions.